BEIJING — China’s workplace accidents and related deaths dropped in the first quarter of 2017 as the government stepped up work safety inspections, official data showed on April 19.
The number of workplace accidents around China plunged 26.3 percent year on year to 10,131 in the first three months, while the death toll in those accidents dropped 16.6 percent to 7,196, according to a report unveiled at a press conference of the State Administration of Work Safety.
Spokesperson Su Jie said at the press conference that the country has stepped up special work safety inspections around major holidays and in important industries since the beginning of this year.
In the first quarter, authorities ordered 1,092 companies to suspend production or business for rectification, up 22.1 percent from a year ago. A total of 246 companies were shut down, up 138.8 percent year on year.
Of those accidents, 7 were categorized as major accidents, compared with 6 major accidents in the same period last year.
A major accident in China refers to one in which either more than 10 people are killed, more than 50 are injured, or the direct economic loss exceeds 50 million yuan ($7.3 million).
In the second quarter, the country will continue to screen for safety hazards to control the occurrence of major accidents, Su said.
Campaigns will be launched to ensure work safety in major industries, including the mining, chemical, construction and transportation fields, she said.
Efforts should also be made to improve emergency response to floods by coordinating efforts of different departments and timely release forecasts and warnings, according to Su.