High-ranking diplomats and envoys welcomed the Government Work Report, saying it charted a confident course for further growth. They also stressed the global significance of the report during a time of uncertain global economic conditions.
1. We are pleased to be here at such a special moment for the Chinese people and the Chinese government. The speech made by the premier was an excellent one. It covered all the important issues for the people of China, and also international relations. We wish China success, as success for China is success for all its partners and friends around the world.
--Jaime Casafranca, minister counselor for the Peruvian embassy in China
2. It was a comprehensive report, very detailed and all-embracing. Many of the things I suppose Chinese people and foreigners wanted to hear were there. First, the orientation toward growth, and of course the orientation of globalization and encouraging and promoting international trade. The emphasis on environmental protection and also social development, including education and health, is very important. In addition, the emphasis on innovation－not just growth but innovative growth－is very forward-looking. The general picture is very encouraging, including what the report said about foreign companies and foreign investment. China is going to continue to be an attractive place for foreign investment, and of course the environment for foreign investors is going to be promoted.
--Leonidas C. Rokanas, Greek ambassador to China
3. For me, the most impressive thing about the Government Work Report was that China’s economic and social performance was better than projected. Last year’s performance was much better both economically and socially. There are very good signs for 2017. Maldives is very pleased that the Belt and Road Initiative is an important part of the central government’s work this year, as are other initiatives such as the integration of Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei province. I was also impressed with the poverty alleviation work, and I think the targets set for 2017 and beyond can be achieved. In terms of controls on environmental pollution, this is also an important international issue. It’s good to see China is taking the leading role.
Maldives is a key part of the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road. We were the first country in South Asia to sign a memorandum of understanding with China on promoting the maritime road, which is crucial as we look forward to cooperating with the Chinese government and Chinese companies in the fields of culture and tourism.
--Mohamed Faisal, Maldivian ambassador to China
4. It was especially important for me to see that the report emphasized the implementation of the Belt and Road Initiative. It’s extremely important for us to see this initiative succeed, as it will benefit not only the people of Afghanistan and China, but all regions (involved in the initiative). China’s commitment to an open economy and free trade is important. We believe China has a very important role to play now and in the future, not only in terms of economic growth, but also in terms of overall prosperity.
--Janan Mosazai, Afghan ambassador to China
5. I was impressed by the part about improving education in the Government Work Report because developing education can help cure many difficulties. The report also highlighted free trade and a more open economy. Free trade is important for global economic growth and enhancing communication between people all over the world. It also contributes to world peace. We have seen steady improvement in the relationship between China and Latin America, and the future for that relationship looks bright.
--Lloyd L. Pinas, Surinamese ambassador to China