WUHAN — Three more people have been taken onshore after rescuers cut open part of the capsized ship on the afternoon of June 2 in the Yangtze River.
The ship, carrying 458 people, which departed from the eastern Chinese city Nanjing and was bound for Chongqing municipality in southwest China, sank after being caught in a cyclone at around 9:28 pm on June 1 in the Jianli (Hubei province) section of the Yangtze River.
So far, a total of 15 people have been rescued from the capsized ship, and another five were confirmed dead. Rescuers said there could be more survivors.
Around 12:56 pm, a 65 years old woman was rescued and has been sent to a local hospital, rescuers said.
She was still able to talk but cannot speak clearly after being saved. Her clothes were broken, yet she was found to have no major injuries after accepting a CT check.
Premier Li Keqiang asked the rescuers to seize every second, battle the fatigue and challenge the extremes, saying the rescue of the senior citizen is a miracle for life and rescue.
Li asked the authorities to update the media of latest progress every hour.
Rescuers are still battling strong winds and downpour to hunt for the missing others.
Around 3:10 pm, another male passenger was rescued. He has been in stable health conditions, according to rescuers.