A total of 627 fugitives have been captured since “Fox Hunt 2015” began in April, the Ministry of Public Security said on Nov 4.
Of the seized suspects, 162 were connected with cases involving more than 10 million yuan ($1.6 million), and 32 suspects had been overseas for more than 10 years, the ministry said.
Eighty-eight fugitives were seized by Guangdong police, 68 were caught by Shanghai police and 67 were arrested by Jiangsu police, it said, adding that 258 people turned themselves in.
The ministry’s use of police liaisons at home and abroad resulted in two fugitives being sent back from the United States and four suspects returned from Italy, Greece, Bulgaria and Spain.
Another 213 fugitives were captured in Southeast Asia.
Fox Hunt 2015 is an important part of China’s Skynet operation targeting suspected economic criminals, many of them corrupt officials.
The ministry added that it will continue giving priority to capturing fugitives.