App | 中文 |

China to implement provisional regulation on residential permit

Updated: Dec 12,2015 11:28 AM

The State Council released a provisional regulation on residential permit on Dec 12, which was signed by Premier Li Keqiang. The regulation was discussed and passed at the 109th State Council executive meeting on Nov 21, and will be enforced from Jan 1, 2016.

The move is to improve basic public services in urban areas and provide conveniences for residential permit card holders.

According to the regulation, residential permit card holders can enjoy basic public services provided by governments at residential places, including compulsory education, employment services, public health and family planning services, culture and sport services, and legal assistance.

The card holders can also enjoy conveniences at the residential places in passport application, resident identification card (ID card) renewal and replacement, vehicle registration, driving license application, and professional qualification examination and application.

According to the regulation, if one of the conditions, including legitimate and stable job, legitimate and stable residence, and consecutive study at local schools, is met, people who have left their permanent household registration places and lived in other cities for more than half a year will be eligible to apply for the residential permit.

To apply a residential permit card, which is issued by local public security bureaus, applicants should submit ID card, photo, and materials concerning their current residence, job, and education.

In addition, card holders should reregister the card on an annual basis or the card will expire.

Information of name, gender, ethnicity, date of birth, citizen ID number, card holder’s photo, address of registered permanent residence, address of current residence, card issuing authority, and date of issue will be included on the residential permit card.

If card holders’ qualifications meet with permanent household registration requirements set by local governments, they will also be eligible to apply for permanent household registration, or hukou, at their current residential places, according to the regulation.