BEIJING — A Foreign Ministry spokesman on Dec 16 expressed mourning for the innocent victims in the Sydney cafe siege.
“China opposes any violence against innocent civilians,” spokesman Qin Gang said at a daily press briefing.
“We express sincere condolences and deep sympathy to the Australian government and people and families of the dead and the injured,” said Qin.
Sydney’s cafe siege ended in tragedy early on Dec 16 with three dead — including the lone gunman — as police stormed the cafe.
Police confirmed that two of the hostages — of the 20 that had been held since 9:45 a.m. on Dec 15 — were killed and at least four others were injured, one of them a police officer.